Ramble On

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Where'd my driveway go?

As the snow began to melt a few weeks ago, I started noticing all the gray patches that were piled up near our driveway at the Hawksbill Cabin.  Then I started to recognize the gray stuff as the new gravel that we had put down last fall.  I have to admit that got under my skin a little bit - but also I realized that there wasn't much to be done about it, except to try and recover some of it.

So over the weekend, that was the main chore Mary and I tackled - trying to gather as much stray gravel as we could from the snow banks around, and replacing it on the bare spots - or worse, where various trucks and cars had spun in holes that fill with water and freeze overnight.

I guess I managed to salvage about 10 wheelbarrows full.  It's a pity, some of it is pretty much lost forever.  Something to remember for the next El Nino winter - don't patch the driveway that year! 

No comments: