Ramble On

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Getting that wood pile organized

I got a late start last weekend and had a lot of social and business appointments in Page County, so I didn't have the time I wanted to clean up the new wood pile in the back.  This pile of logs is from one of the three trees we lost during the winter - we lost one of the three trunks of the apple in front, took down one of the old dog woods that was close to the power line, and took down this pine which was leaning and close to the house.

So I had it cut up into sections so I could move it, but the team left some of the logs too big to move with my wheel barrow.  So for now I piled everything up in one place while I get some better equipment.  I've got to get it moved soon though because it is too close to the house...at a minimum it will attract black rat snakes...but it's easy to imagine something venomous taking up residence there, too - a copperhead or a timber rattler...or both.

In the past I've kept these logs so my friend Chris could use them for firewood over in GWNF...but he doesn't camp often enough to use it all.  So this time, I plan to use these logs to line the path out into our wooded back lots.  They can return to the earth in the forest, and while they are doing so we'll have a route to follow out into our woods.  I will keep the smaller logs for him though.

Here is the stump of the dogwood we took down.  A couple of years ago we took two down in the front - I don't like it, but sometimes these older trees are just dangerous and are threatening to come down on their own.  I took this because of the oxidation happening already, and the sap running here - I remember that from the last one.  I have an artist friend who may come and take this stump away...I do plan to feature her work in a post soon.

No comments: