Ramble On

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rituals


Last Sunday, I was sitting on the brick terrace, getting ready to do a little proposal writing work for a Monday deadline. It was about that time of day when the deer come up, and right on time, they arrived.

I had sent a text message to my friend Yiming in Denver, since I knew he'd be watching the Dodgers-Cubs game and could let me know if the Dodgers had won. They did and advanced to the LCS.

He then sent a couple of follow-up messages: what beer they were serving at the Rock Bottom he goes to, and the Redskins-Eagles score.

So I sent this photo back at him in a message entitled "What's Happenin' Now!"

2 comments:

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

That is so cool that the deer just stop on by your property. When I saw the tital of this post, "Rituals", I thought for sure there was going to be some sacrificial Bambi-killing and/or dancing around naked in the forest...

(The only time I ever get to see "wildlife" in San Francisco is when I drive through Golden Gate Park; there is a herd of American Bison that they have in their own little paddock. I have also seen a few coyotes running through the park, too.)

Unknown said...

Their arrival does add to the relaxation and the sense that we've gotten away from the hustle and bustle, but my only worry about them is that they can be quite dangerous.

They really don't have any ability to comprehend what cars are, and that they should stay away from them. The result at this time of year is a lot of deer hits - lots of dead deer along the roads and highways. I've already seen three or four.

You've got other things to check out in SF. I still like to call it my second hometown, just like everybody else!