Ramble On

Monday, October 20, 2008

NC State Fair - a break from errands


This weekend I took the nephews with me for an errand in Raleigh, where they helped their grandma move into a new apartment. As a treat, we made a stop at the NC State Fair in Raleigh, where the boys got to run the midway with their cousin, who was also in town, up from Pinehurst.




I gave them their "running money" and set them loose, with a scheduled rondezvous at 9pm. Off they went, playing the games (with my warning not to get tricked into spending too much time at any one booth) - when they got back they even reported that they had stopped for gyros at one of the booths. As reported by the youngest, "That was the best 7 bucks we spent!"

Meanwhile, my mother and I made the rounds of the agricultural exhibits, including a 4H cow show, honey producers and pumpkins - all shown here. The largest pumpkin we saw was 612 pounds. Grandma was wearing her Obama shirt and the attendant with the pumpkins struck up a conversation, which was enlightening about the down ballot races there in NC.






Here are the apple and apple crafts displays, and a little calf from the calving displays. Tomorrow I will post some midway photos from the fair.

No comments: