Ramble On

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

NC State Fair - the Midway


After the boys got back from running the gamut and made our rondezvous (on-time, no less!), I found out that they had indulged me after all, waiting until I could join them for a Ferris Wheel ride, and then a roller coaster with the youngest.








Today, a couple of highlight photos from the midway, including this one of a pottery exhibition that I discovered by accident. For those not in the know, there is a strong NC pottery tradition in a central town known as Jugtown, where they specialize in a salt glaze that produces distinctive and utilitarian objects. For the record, the items in this exhibit were mass produced and not good matches to my tastes.





So we went of for our Ferris Wheel ride - the temps had gotten down into the high 40's by this time so it was quite cold on the ride, but we had a great time anyway. And the roller coaster was a blast, I'm glad to know there is still one person out there who will ride one with me!



As we began to make our way home, just by chance we caught the fireworks going off. I didn't realize I had taken such an arty shot, with young romance blooming at the fair...but you know me, I aim to please.

2 comments:

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

So, is it fair to say that you met them at the "Fair-ris Wheel"* (this really has to be said in a pissed-off Scottish tour-guide accent ~ or, at least, by Eric Miller)...

Sounds like it was a lot of fun, too.

*(This is a reference to Dawg Flite's 1984 & 1985 O-Fest trips to München, in case you were wondering.)

Unknown said...

Oktoberfest '85. I think I remember that. Something about a Glockenspiel also.