Ramble On

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hummingbirds are Gone

During my vacation in September, I succumbed at Wal-Mart to purchasing a hummingbird feeder and the syrup mix. I figured it was pretty late in the year for this, but I was surprised to learn that we had several of them around.

We’d had a female ruby-throated hummingbird and an immature bird that frequented the yard all summer, checking out the hostas and bee balm, but I never saw the male.

They actually came around enough during September that I had to refill the feeder, but now, it seems like with the cold, they’ve already started the migration. I haven’t seen them in a couple of weeks. It’s hard to believe, but these little birds will fly south to the Gulf of Mexico, or even further, to the Tropics, to spend their winters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have also noticed that the "local" humming birds have headed south. Last year we had our feeders out until mid November and actually had some activity on them. Probably some transients that had been even further north for the Summer and were on their way south. Very cool, little creatures to observe!