Ramble On

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

On-line Hiking Guides

From time to time when I post about hikes in the Shenandoah Valley, I will reference the Heatwole on-line guide. The ajheatwole guide has been particularly useful to me, as I used it during 2005 to identify SNP hikes that could help prepare Chris and me for our Half Dome climb.

I recently noticed that it hadn't been updated in a while, so I wrote an email to the address on that site. Here is the response I received from Tony there:
--
"The publisher of the Guide, the Shenandoah National Park Association, stopped updating the Guide 6 or 7 years ago. They decided to incorporate, with my gladly-given permission, material from the Guide in an updated Guide to Shenandoah National Park. That project was supposed to be completed in the spring of 2006, so clearly they’re behind schedule or have run into obstacles. Many things have changed in the past 10 years that need to be included in any new guide. I understand that, among other things, new information about the formation of the park and relocation of the previous residents has come to light. So, I’m anxiously awaiting the *new* guide."
--
Among the other guides I use are "Best Easy Day Hikes - Shenandoah National Park" and Hiking Upward, an on-line resource. But the detailed descriptions on the ajheatwole.com site are among the best.

No comments: