Ramble On

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Tech 4-0 Trailheader - a Tech-Watch Geek guest post

Today, I'm re-posting from Gary's gear blog (  http://runtechinthevalley.blogspot.com/ ) - he's been using a Tech 4-0 watch on his adventures and recently put up a review post.  With his permission, I edited it slightly to fit my blog.

Gary's blog is a companion blog to Howard's Adventures in the Valley blog, which is  here:   http://adventuresinthevalley.blogspot.com/

Although they have the watch in the store in Luray, for reference, I have an Amazon link at the end of the post.

"I am going to blog about the gear that I personally use for running and cycling here in the Shenandoah Valley, what I like, don't like and why. These are just my personal opinions. I am a triathlete (for a number of years with two ironman races under my belt) and have recently started trail running and now adventure racing. I hope this blog can be helpful to anyone who is looking at gear and equipment for being outdoors.

The first piece of equipment I will talk about is the Tech 40 Traileader Pro watch. I had been using the Freestyle Nomad and the first thing that I noticed about the Traileader was that it is noticeably lighter on the wrist than the Nomad. As with all of these multi-function high tech watches the learning curve is a little steep, for me anyway. It took me about 3 hours to get the watch set up and using it in a basic way. The pictures in the directions do not match the watch face so it is a little confusing.

The Traileader has two menus, a time menu and a trail menu. Once you get the hang of it you can switch back and forth fairly easily. On the time menu you can run through the altitude, barometric pressure, and temperature quickly without having to go into the trail menu. It also has a running distance/running time mode which I really like. No more pedometers! The watch face is large which I like also because I can read it without having to need my reading glasses.

All in all I prefer the Traileader over the Nomad and it is now my Adventure watch.

"Thrive Outside"
 

No comments: