Ramble On

Friday, July 16, 2010

Gearing up for Yosemite

When I first got news of the pending assignment to Yosemite, I decided first thing was to get some new hiking shoes, since I knew I would need them for what promised to be a lot of walking around, and standing, while we fill out reports. So I talked to Howard at AOA and we decided on some Vasques…which have to be special ordered in my size.

These are actually VST trail running shoes. Very functional and stylish.

Finally picked them up last week and have broken them in with about 10 miles of walking, including the Storybook Trail in Massanutten and a couple of round trips to the office.

Turns out, I’ll need some heavy duty shoes in some cases, and they recommend steel toes, according to the project safety plan. And a safety vest, a hard hat, and some protective eyewear. The team is providing most of this equipment, along with GPS and some other special items, which I will post about later. I am still looking for the shoes.

I know I haven’t said yet what I will be doing on the trip, but we’ll get to that.

I’m a consultant, you know – most of the time it is about the knife and fork, but sometimes, it’s about the gear. They don’t send the big guy out for this stuff as much as they used to, so this is a real treat for me. The important thing is, I’ll be able to wear the new Vasques for most of the time, and I am looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Anxious to hear what you'll be doing out there! It's not top secret is it? Our family joke is that my dad would go on these secret clearance trips, and then wherever he was, something would blow up. We're very proud of this...teehee.

Unknown said...

We are in for a much more mundane trip than that. We have to visit the facilities that are contracted to concessions and assess their condition. It'll be a learning experience for me. And I'll be the wheel man for a couple of these days. I think the plan on one day includes four hours of driving!

Howard in Luray said...

Way to pose those shoes for the photo! Nice merchandising, my friend. Hope they keep your feet happy and healthy! Safe travels to you! I know it's gonna be a tough one for you! ;)

Howard