Ramble On

Monday, July 26, 2010

Catching up in San Francisco

I've said it before, I was really lucky to have the chance to travel to Yosemite last week on business.  I was also lucky to be able to find time to visit some good friends along the way, including Brian McGowan, who was stationed in Berlin with me way back when.

Brian keeps a blog, which is in the blog roll column to the left, called Breakfast at Epiphany's (link:  http://breakfastatepiphany.blogspot.com/2010/07/dotties-true-blue-cafe.html) - he's already got a post up there about our trip to one of his favorites, Dottie's True Blue Cafe.  If you are planning a trip to SFO the blog is something you need to check in advance to make sure you start the day right with your most important meal.

Brian was a great sport and we had fun catching up on old times while sightseeing around the city - more to follow.  But first, let's get down to business. 

Brian referred me to the specials board for some choice breakfast selections - he picked the Portobello Frittata, and I had the black bean cakes with two eggs over easy.  I expect food to be good in San Francisco and have rarely been dissappointed there - and Dottie's delivered and then some.  Categorically, those were the best black bean cakes I have ever eaten!

Using his trademarked Glen Bacon scale, Brian gave his frittata a high rating of 7.5 - I gave my black bean cakes a 7.1.  It was truly a good breakfast and prepared us for the grueling trip to Sausalito and Tiberon to follow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I got a comment by email from a friend who read this post -

I forgot to tell you that my brother and sister-in-law are in SF for the annual American Bar Assn. meeting, and my brother and I had Sunday brunch at Dottie's
True Blue Cafe! Inspired by Jim's menu choice and Moto-cam photo on the blog, I had the black bean cakes with fried cornbread, eggs over easy, and potatoes.
Divine! My brother had an omelet made with lamb-fennel sausage, fresh spinach, tomato and some kind of cheese. It was OMG good. We drank quarts of coffee, but
I was in a food coma until dinnertime. We both loved it so much that we each got Dottie's coffee mugs. I can't imagine brunching anywhere else in SF now.

Cross posted over on Brian's blog.