Ramble On

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Eggplant recipe #3 - a la Jandy

For the third in this emerging series of eggplant recipes, I’m sharing one from my friend Jandy, one of my USC classmates in Southern California. On Facebook the other day she told me she’d tried this one a few weeks ago and the family enjoyed it – she is also trying additional ingredients to make it her own.


I used a photo from the following link – many readers will recognize this dish from the Disney Pixar movie “Ratatouille.” Apparently the origin of the dish is Turkey, where it is known at Confit Byaldi.

http://www.inuyaki.com/archives/101

The article there references a previous publication of the eggplant recipe in the New York Times.

“For ‘piperade’ I also roasted tomatoes with bell peppers, and I added a lot more garlic (we are garlic lovers) and minced carrots into it. And three in more kinds of herbs: coriander, tumeric, etc., something I have in my panty. And a little bit of white wine.

Steve and I like it very much! But I still can’t make my daughter eat it…she at all kinds of vegetables when she was younger; now she’s picky.”

The other day, I mentioned getting interested in eggplant again after a chat in Chuck’s kitchen in Luray, as he peeled and sliced one for some dish. I’ve been experimenting with a stewed version of ratatouille, and the reader Purple Lady shared a refreshing version made with olive tapenade and yogurt sauce the other day. Mary also has a recipe I’ll have to look up if I continue the series, and I might refer to “Simply in Season” or the Mennonite Recipes of the Shenandoah Valley to round this out.

Maybe it’s too early to say “love the eggplant” but it is definitely growing on me.

Clicking on the “eggplant” label below will take you to the other posts with recipes.

No comments: