Ramble On

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

San Francisco's Golden Fire Hydrant

After breakfast at Dottie's, on our way out of town I asked Brian to go by Mission Dolores and up to Church Street, which is at the nexus of Noe Valley, the Mission, and Castro districts.  I had a couple of objectives for this little side trip - first, our friend Cathy used to live up here and I wanted to take a look at her house and the view I remembered, and second, I wanted to check out the little fire hydrant here that somehow managed to keep working after the 1906 earthquake, saving much of the Mission District from the fires.

It was easy to find the charming house up on Church Street - here is a photo of it - and the skyline view above is from the street in front of it.  We had some wonderful visits there, and I always remember my first BART trip over from a trip I made in 1998 whenever I am here - I stayed in Oakland that time also.


Slightly down the hill and a half block away is the fire hydrant.  It is marked with a plaque, and Brian told me there is an annual celebration of it.

Here's a link to an article about the hydrant:  http://geology.about.com/od/historicearthquakes/ig/SFquake2006/goldhydrant1.htm

1 comment:

Mom Ettenger said...

Thanks for taking me back to my charming little home/'hood in SF! You really put together a great trip. Come back soon! Cathy & Amelie