Ramble On

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yet to pull the trigger: Tech Watch Geek Update


All the summer gear reviews are out, and this year there are even more choices of tech watches. The one catching my eye right now is the Suunto Elementum Terra - one good looking watch.

It's new enough that there aren't a lot of reviews yet, so I want to see some field experience with the watch before I make a final selection of the one to get. I've seen the Elementum Terra most recently in the June/July issue of National Geographic Adventure (which also features some of the nation's top parks as a headline article); I haven't seen it in stores yet.

The Adventure article reviews the watch as follows:

"...Not all climbing watches look the same. Suunto's Elementum Terra has every mark of a quality mountain instrument, with an altimeter, barometer, and obsessively precise compass. But the stainless steel powerhouse's urban style is all its own... ."

The price for this functional style is around $1,200, putting it in the same class as the Tissot T-Touch (click on the "Tech Watch Geek" label for a look at some other watches I've been considering). It is good looking, with bracelet styles in stainless, leather or rubber.

First of all, I am a "hiker" and not a "climber," but it is the use of that word "obsessive" to describe the watch functions that troubles me. My friends Chris and Andy both have tech watches with altimeter functions, and so far on our Duncan Knob and Signal Knob hikes they've forgotten (or neglected) to calibrate their watches before we set out. Chris admonishes that the operator guides are difficult to read and use. We've been able to work around the calibration, but I suspect the reason they don't do it is because it is a pain.

That's why I need to have more info before I invest in one of these tools. My G-shock (casual) and Omega Constellation (dressy) watches will get me by until I make a choice.

By the way, in a move reminiscent of the Appalachian Trail story on the Casio site, Suunto has added a feature on Doug Stoup, a polar explorer, and his endorsement of the watches. More at: http://www.suuntocampaigns.com/Elementum/
By clicking on the label "Tech-Watch Geek" you will be taken to the entire series of altimeter watch reviews.

No comments: