Ramble On

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Arlington - Rainy Days and Construction

It’s an understatement to say there has been a lot of rain in the Mid-Atlantic region this week. The US Open is on and has had to deal with substantial rain delays up in Bethpage, NY; Howard (Evergreen Outfitters) posted in his Facebook status this morning that he considered canoeing into work in Luray; and yesterday, this little backhoe sunk into the mud at the construction site across the street from my office in Arlington.

The backhoe had been extracted by this morning; unfortunately I missed that part of the action. I would guess they pulled it out with one of the larger vehicles, but there is a cantilever crane at the site and they may have been able to pull it out that way.

The incident reminded me that I haven’t posted on the Arlington construction in a while. This project got started in January 2008 at about the same time I started my current job. We watched the demolition and site prep from our windows. Currently, as seen in the accompanying photo, the building has risen out of the hole, the parking decks are completed below ground, and the mezzanine and retail levels are a work in progress.

As a side note, the majority of the “Arlington Rap” video I posted last week and have linked to here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo was filmed within 2 blocks of this construction site.

No comments: