Ramble On

Friday, June 19, 2009

This Week's Page News & Courier

It's looking more and more like we aren't going to make it out this week. But the paper arrived in the mail yesterday (it is published Wednesday and is usually here by Thursday, on weeks where we are in town on Wednesday, it is still hawked at the main intersection in downtown Luray) and there are a couple of items of interest that merit a further look.

I can't cover them today, but posting them for a moment so I'll remember to come back to them:
  • a regional economic task force met recently in Luray to discuss unemployment in Page County. The article left me with an impression that nothing was decided, except to make an endorsement of the Lord Fairfax Community College.
  • a petition regarding the Econonomic Development Authority's pursuit of "Project Clover" - the purchase of farm land for future development. The EDA Chairman is quoted as not understanding the issue in a photo caption; most of the chatter I have heard on this issue involves the multiple of assessed value (nearly 3x) that was paid for the land.
  • an announcement that Tractor Supply Company (TSC) is coming to Luray. I've driven past the stores in Leesburg and H-burg, but never been to one...it seems to be across the spectrum from the Lowe's offering, but I want to know more about the chain.

I'll see what I can find out about these over the next week.

No comments: