Ramble On

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I want to ride my bicycle

To start the vacation last week, I tracked the bikes out to Luray to have them repaired at our local bike shop - Hawksbill Bicycles. These guys are really great - the shop is still pretty new, less than a year old, but we have stopped by there two or three times. They are located right by the Greenway so you can duck in during a walk, or ride.
There's more information about them on their website at http://www.hawksbillbicycles.com/, but they sell and service bikes, and rent them. They'll even consign used bikes. They've got all the accessories as well. And if you are visiting Luray to do some biking, they have little route guides that they will provide for free - some of these are as long as 30 miles and will take you through farm and field.
Mary's bike is an old Schwinn, dating from the '80's. Mine is an Iron Horse that I bought on sale from Big Wheel bikes in Bethesda. I made the mistake of riding it home to DuPont Circle from there the first day I had it - forgot about how hilly NW DC is. I am ashamed of how little I have used the bike since then...and that is why we took them out to the Hawksbill Cabin.
David helped us with the servicing. Everything you'd expect in a bike mechanic, and you don't often see this kind of commitment in the stores these days. I have a couple of photos here, of the store, and our bikes when they were ready to roll out, and then in the garage once I got them home.
As I was thinking about this post, I got a hankering for an obvious Queen video, so here you go:

No comments: