Ramble On

Friday, December 17, 2010

Tech-watch Geek: A look at Tissot's T-Touch




In keeping with some of the adventure topics that I post about here on the blog, I do a lot of reading in outdoor travel magazines like Outside and Backpacker. Whenever an adventure watch is featured in their gear reviews, I take an extra bit of time to read those articles, so for the last couple of years I have been keeping an eye on the Tissot T-touch series of watches.


These are high-end tech-watches that usually feature an altimeter, thermometer, compass, and other features. The difference is the touch screen interface that is accesses through the watch crystal; depending on where you touch the screen you will access a feature and the result will typically be displayed on an LCD screen.

Tissot has a nice range of styles and colors to choose from, and they have a pretty cool “reality” feature on their website, which allows you to virtually try these very fashionable watches on with the assistance of a web cam and a special bracelet. Your humble tech-watch geek blogger does not have access to any of this technology, so we’ll have to settle for my scan of some Amazon reviews.

Most of what I read on the high-end and newest generation watches was high ratings from enthusiastic owners. Apparently, there were early spotty problems with the touch screen technology, and there are still some signs of this showing up in the entry level versions.

However, there is a NASCAR version, which I have included an ad for below, and the steel bracelet “Sea-touch” at the top of this post are nice looking. I am satisfied with my Casio Pathfinder for now, but if I ever go back to being a jacket and tie guy at work, I might consider an upgrade to a dressy version like this Sea-touch.

Now for some Amazon review highlights…

"…(The Sea-touch) …has an altimeter, thermometer, compass and a few other features, most of them work just as you would expect them – flawlessly, the watch looks great, you will receive a lot of compliments. It does look good. While I have read on some places that the watch in itself is kind of hit or miss on the waterproof department, it has not been my case, mine works flawlessly, the compass works great and will let you know where are you headed to. I have more than 2 years with it, the rubber band holds its own, the watch keep working and other than a few scuffs on the case everything works fantastic."

And a second:

"If you hung on this far, here's the real reason I considered this watch in the first place, the Touch interface. A firm press on the center button activates the touch interface and away you go. The rubberized buttons on the "crown side" are completely sealed and can be used under water to activate the functions while immersed. I was surprised that the button press needed is quite firm and takes some getting used to. But, I'd rather it be that way than constantly activating my watch and wearing the battery down. I have yet to dive with my new watch but, I will remedy that this weekend…The luminous markings are tremendously bright even after a short exposure to light and you still have the red back light if you need it, although it requires you to hold that button firmly for a few seconds to get it to light up.…this latest generation of touch technology is pretty much bug free and has been around for the better part of a decade."

 

No comments: