Ramble On

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Clarendon Construction - December 2010

I haven't posted an update on the local construction in a few weeks and there is a good reason for it.  I have been taking a class at the local community college over the last few months and one of the requirements was to do a "site visit" at a local construction site and document examples of what you'd learned...I chose the north block development, which I have been calling the "mid-block" building over the course of this series.  Today we'll revisit the three sites in an overview sort of fashion.

First up, there are the south block buildings.  As we've learned during the course of this series of posts, this development is actually composed of three buildings, two on the south side and one on the north side of Clarendon Boulevard.  These two, a residential building and an office building, are across from my office.

The trailer that was being used as a rental office has been removed, and I guess they now are doing that from inside.  Also, at night I can see that somebody has moved into the third floor of the office building - it's very messy there, almost like an IT assemly lab.  Furniture is also visible in one of the upper floor conference rooms.  The clock is working on the tower, and the two big lanterns were only installed within the last month or so - in fact, these are installed on all three of the buildings.



Here is a simple view of the north, or mid-block, building, and two views of the restored storefront facades, which I don't remember posting before. 

At the top of the building you can see the new lanterns...also, at street level, the planted the street trees (live oak, if I am not mistaken).  The sidewalks are going in, and much of the interior work is underway.  In the overview photo, you can see the restored storefronts below, with the ground level pictures of these two also shown. 

There is still a bit of work to go, but the majority is complete.  Both of these developments are supposed to be ready for occupancy mid-month...I think that they are most of the way there.  Rumor is, we will be getting a Trader Joe's in the south block building - you wouldn't believe the anticipation.

Finally, the church development behind our office.  I watched a few weeks ago as they put in the crane pad overnight in a single pour, now they started form work for some of the columns.  Some aspects of the substructure are visible to the rear of the excavation as well.  This development still bugs me, I can't get over how...I simply cannot find a better word for this...how ugly this is.  It is truly hideous. 

I can't even make an argument for the functionality of this project, combining the church and living spaces.  My prediction:  it will be a laughing stock when it's complete, and will continue to be one for as long as it stands.

No comments: