Ramble On

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Smokin' Wood


Mickey had stopped by Hawksbill Cabin last week and taken care of all the leaves. With more than a dozen oaks, a half dozen hickories, and various other odds and ends for deciduous trees in the one acre plus (cleared) yard - there's about two acres still in woods, this endeavor takes quite a bit of time; he also has been keeping an eye on the grading of our driveway, where any heavy rain makes for gullies.


Inspired by the cleanup, I gathered a couple of four- and five-inch pine and apple branches I’d saved from pruning this year to make some logs for my firepit. They both seasoned through the summer and are now primed for winter fires on the brick terrace. I tested some of the pine out this weekend, it worked great, and I have the smoky scent embedded in one of my Carhardtt hats to show for it.

The apple is destined to be smoking wood for something later in the winter. I had been thinking I would go ahead and use it on the briskets I’ve been saving, but now I think I may get together a couple of pork tenderloins and try that instead.

I am also seasoning this big section of white oak for future use. When my friend Bill from Tampa was up a few weeks back, he salvaged this from a neighbor’s yard and brought it over. I don’t have a specific plan for it yet, but I am working on it.

No comments: