Ramble On

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2010 Tech-watch Geek Series


It's getting to be holiday season, and I like to check in on all the "tech watches" at this time of year.  So let's get started!

Of course, I have a Casio that I have been enjoying this year since Mary gave it to me last Christmas.  I used the altimeter function most recently last Saturday up on Stonyman Mountain, where I took this measurement.

Here you can see I have a reading of 1060 meters, or about 3,286 feet.  My reference point is the sign, which says that the actual altitude is 3,837 feed.  This variation is typical for altimeters reading barometric pressure...it's important to find a reference point like this handy sign early in the hike to peg the variation.

Weather factors can introduce variation as well, once again reinforcing the need to have a good reference point.  Then you can better evaluate variation that seems to change too rapidly - after all, it could be a storm moving in, and you don't want to be caught by surprise.

FYI, here is an Amazon link to the Casio Pathfinder like mine...I'll take a look at this year's offerings from Suunto, Tissot, and Tech 4 oh over the next week or so.

No comments: