Ramble On

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day and the if-clause

It's a day to honor those who are serving in America's military forces, and to thank those who have served. 

I read an op-ed by Patrick Logan in today's Washington Post and wanted to share a few thoughts from his article.  He refers to a letter his father wrote home from Italy during WWII:  "Someday I expect to come home and fulfill a lot of plans I've made and live the way I want to."  His father made it home, and he was able to carry through on this wish.

Logan calls this the "if-clause" - the unspoken and unwritten thought that accompanies this phrase.  "[If I make it through this] Someday..."  For those, unlike Logan's father, who don't come back to fulfill those plans and dreams, today is a day to remember them, to try and feel their sacrifice. 

His article goes on:

...I thought of the if-clause last month last month when reading the announcement that four soldiers had been killed while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan:

Cpl. Justin J. Cain, 22, of Manitowoc, WI
Lance Cpl. Phillip D. Vinnedge, 19, of Saint Charles, MO
Lance Cpl. Joseph E. Rodewald, 21, of Albany, OR
Pfc. Victor A. Dew, 20, of Granite Bay, CA

...

As Logan says, we must remember their sacrifice, their service, and their dreams that have ended.

And to my friends and loved ones who answered the call, I wanted to take a moment to say thank you for your service.  It's no exaggeration to say that you are part of what makes our country great.  I look forward to being there with you when your dreams are fulfilled. 

No comments: