Ramble On

Monday, January 5, 2009

Into the Wild - Book Review

I recently posted on Amazon.com - a review of Into the Wild, by John Krakauer. Here's the full text.

"Just finished this one. I think there is something in all of us that wants to get in touch with the great big world outside, a hunger, a keening...and it's especially true with US corporate types challenged to find the balance. While Alex McCandless embraced this search early in his life before he had other responsibilities, and he was reckless about it, the picture here is one of a man who - by looking inward - comes to terms with his need for external relationships. The book was recommended to me by my local outfitter - Evergreen Outfitters, in Luray, VA. I found the experience reading this fascinating and moving."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read the book and loved it. Not sure that the movie will do it justice, but I plan to watch that soon.

Armen

Unknown said...

Armen,

Sean Penn most likely did a good job with the movie but I am tentative on watching it.

I was really impressed with McCandless's travel, for one thing. I mean, I once thought it was a big deal to fly last minute to London once without hotel reservations (and later I did a 3-week tour of western Europe without them). My real point is, not to be overconfident and be realistic about what you can take on - and prepare for the worst.

As far as the book goes, I didn't really mind the author's narrative insertions (this was a big issue for many of the Amazon reviewers), they added an interesting perspective on McC's state of mind.

Wouldn't expect that stuff to be in the movie, however.

Thanks for posting,
JT