Ramble On

Friday, January 2, 2009

Hawksbill Mountain Holiday Hike - part 1


I mentioned last week that Mary and I set out on the short hike to Hawksbill summit last weekend. We were greated by a sparkling day - in the mid-sixties, with a lot of the haze that typically hangs over the Valley cleared out by a front that had moved through, bringing the warmer air with it.

Once we were on the trail, this inviting view of the fairly easy way ahead greeted us.


Here are a couple of photos from our drive up to the trail head. There were a number of visitors in the Park, having taken inspiration in the weather change, even though all of the facilities are closed at this time of year. Since there were typically no other cars in most waysides, I pulled off more frequently than I typically would have.


Here are two photos overlooking the Valley, first in the direction of the New Market Gap, and second, looking north of Luray.

Next, a photo of Old Rag Mountain - I think this is the clearest shot of it I have ever taken from Skyline Drive.

3 comments:

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

Just commenting on the new video...

Don't want to sound too "naïve", but that's the stuff!!!

He may not be Fred Astaire, but that floor lamp is sure better than Ginger Rogers ever was!

Unknown said...

The planet video version was taking too long to load. After I watched the film again a few weeks back, which got this started in the first place, I found this video to post...may put others up from time to time...

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

Not only is that one of my favourite Talking Heads songs, it is one of my favourite clips from the movie.

Thanks again.