Ramble On

Thursday, January 29, 2009

As seen on US 11


From time to time we drive to H-burg via New Market, heading south from town on US 11 to get to I-81. We have alternative routes, and we generally decide which to use at the last minute.
Right there at the intersection of 11 and 81, there is this old barn with a memorial to the Leonard Skynyrd band members who died in a plane crash on October 20 1977 - the painting was done on the 2005 anniversary.
This crash happened on a Thursday of that year, but the media being what it was in 1977, the coverage didn't really gear up until Saturday morning.
I happen to remember where I was that Saturday - I was driving my '73 Plymouth Duster, sunroof open, up US 1 from Key West to Miami, where I planned to spend the weekend with a high school friend who lived in Little Havana.
The three hour drive over the bridges was wonderful, and we had a great weekend hanging out in Miami. But one of the things about that trip that I always remember are all the eulogies from the DJ's I heard on the way up - and the "Free Bird" marathons.

No comments: