Ramble On

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Bourne Marathon

Last weekend I did an overnight at the Hawksbill Cabin. Since Mary didn't join me, I was left to my own devices and goofed off, of course. I created a project for myself and watched all the Bourne movies over the course of 24 hours.


It's pretty old news by now, but the movies are very well done - great action scenes, great pace, facinating location work. They're pure entertainment.

Only one thing bugged me, that they killed off the girlfriend in the beginning of movie 2. I guess it was necessary to move the story along, but didn't they do this in the 2nd Austin Powers movie too?

A quick look at other web sources tells me that there is a "Bourne 4" sequel in the works, with Matt Damon again starring as Jason Bourne. And that there are four books beyond "Supremacy."

Has anybody read the books? Do you recommend them?

4 comments:

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

I remember reading "The Bourne Identity" when it first came out (I read just about everything that Robert Ludlum wrote back then), I think I read the next two, also. I didn't even know there were four (4!) more books. I really haven't read any Ludlum in years, though.

I have only seen the first movie so far (and thanks a lot for the spoiler alert!!!).

Unknown said...

The additional four Bourne books are:

The Bourne Legacy (by Eric Van Lustbader) (2004)
The Bourne Betrayal (by Eric Van Lustbader) (2007)
The Bourne Sanction (by Eric Van Lustbader) (2008)
The Bourne Deception (by Eric Van Lustbader) (2009)

All written after Ludlum's death in 2001. My source is Wikipedia for this, by the way.

Unknown said...

Reading on here, only "Identity" is loosely based on the Ludlum books; the others deviate completely from the books, per Wikipedia.

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

Thanks for that literary tid-bit...

Figures that's why I didn't know there were more books. Just like the James Bond novels, once Ian Fleming died, there should not have been any more written.