Ramble On

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Pork Diaries: Pig Roast 2

During the farm tour last weekend, the first stop was at Khimaira Farm.  While I am still gathering the material for some posts on the tour, I thought I might post on the coincidence of running into the caterers for that night's event at Khimaira.

Just as the tour caravan was preparing to leave the farm, the sound of the caterers firing up their cooker filled the air.  Not long after, there was a distinctive smell of oak smoke.  As we turned the corner from the wedding area back to the parking area, well, there they were, setting up a pig roast.

My friend John and I walked over to chat them up - John cooked the roast I posted on the other day.

They had a 100+ pound piglet that had been raised organically over in the other part of the Valley.  They told us that the grilling apparatus they were using would get up to 375 degrees or so at the top of the cylinder, but would stay around 225 to 250 down at the level where the pig would rest.  The roasting time would range from 8 to 10 hours overall.

Here are a couple of photos of this visit - we left just as they put the pig in the grill.

No comments: