Ramble On

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Page County Grown Trifecta, part 1

I took a few days off last week and spent them relaxing - for the most part, anyway - out at Hawksbill Cabin.  With some fine spring weather I thought I might visit some of my Page County Grown friends around town.  First stop:  Main Street Bakery.

Main Street is one of three restaurant members of Page County Grown.  Along with the others (the Mimslyn Inn and Artisans Cafe - find them here:   http://pagecountygrown.com/local/restaurants/), Main Street uses fresh, locally grown ingredients whenever they can.

My choice last week was the tarragon chicken salad sandwich, paired with a carrot cake cupcake.  Now, when I posted this to Facebook, there was an inspired discussion about how tarragon chicken salad was a sophisticated nouveau cuisine entry on the American Cafe menu in the 1980s.
As we moved on from talking about the herb tarragon, to basil, rosemary, and cilantro, I couldn't help but wonder about how we tail-enders of the baby boom have changed the world by facilitating the introduction of such a wide variety of new tastes to American cooking.

And it was a pleasant surprise that I had run into Chef Arnaud from Main Street the day before down in Harrisonburg - he stopped by to say hello in the Barnes and Noble, where I was writing a few blog posts.

In any case, if you're in Luray during lunch, and you're feeling in the mood for something fresh and homemade, here's a recommendation.  You'll come away with a wholesome feeling from your meal, and you'll have contributed to our great Page County thing.

No comments: