Ramble On

Monday, February 2, 2009

Winter Sunday in the Park

We enjoyed the light dusting of snow that was left on everything around the cabin this weekend that we decided to take the drive up to the SNP to take a look around, settling on Limberlost as a little outing - and if we felt brave, we thought we'd try Betty's Rock again, having been turned back there in the summer due to bears.
I'll post on the two trails later, but for now, here are a couple of photos in the Park...I like to go up in the winter for a few reasons, not the least of which is how few people there are out in the Park. But also, with the leaves down, you really get a sense of how rough the mountain terrain is - it's easy to forget this when the leaves soften up the picture, and on a clear day you have a good chance of seeing something you hadn't noticed before.
For example, here are photos of Old Rag, from the Pinnacles overlook, and another of Hawksbill Mountain, from the Crescent Rock overlook. Two favorites. In both, the sharpness of the ridge lines are highlighted.


Another interesting site for us was these ice falls along Skyline Drive on Stoneyman. We'd seen them from about 4 miles away in the clear and sunny air. We even saw one up on Stoneyman - I'd say approximately on his right cheek there. I got out of the car to get closer and took the photo of this big one. It was 40 feet or so tall, and had that light blue tone they get. Really a nice surprise to happen on these.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim, my name is Don and I have been enjoying your website for awhile now after following a link here from Hburgnews. Your website is interesting and informative and I try to visit everyday.

The SNP is one of my favorite destinations for a few hours of majestic beauty and quiet and although I visit very often throughout the year, winter surely does offer the best opportunity for solitude. I have been exploring the trails with the hope of returning in the spring for hikes as the park greens. Your trail postings are very helpful and I hope they continue.

The ice falls are indeed a sight; I have photographed some as well. Am curious about where the water is coming from.

Good luck with your cabin and the associated projects. And I hope Gracie is with you for a long time. We have a border collie mix along with her 1 canine and 3 feline companions. They are wonderful friends as Gracie no doubt is to you.

Unknown said...

Don,

Thanks for your note. I'm enjoying having the blog - it continues to evolve, and it's good to hear that others are finding it of interest (besides my mom and my friend Brian! - both of whom I appreciate very much! - especially Brian!)

I like the park a lot, year round, although I have to admit these last few times up, during the winter, I've found it to be an especially relaxing place to be.

And also for the kind wishes about Gracie, thank you. She seems to be doing very well right now, maybe we've found the right way to present the special diet and she is cleaning her plate. That's good news according to the vet.

Drop a line anytime - I really appreciate the feedback.

BEst,
Jim