Ramble On

Thursday, February 5, 2009

On Frozen (Cement and Beaver) Ponds

This weekend we had our first look at the cabin in actual winter weather...a light dusting of snow remained on the ground from earlier in the week when we arrived on Saturday. One of the first things we noticed, looking across the property to the beaver pond across the street, was that it was hard frozen over - here's a photo.

The shiny ice clearly shows how big this pond has become, I'm guessing it is now a half acre. There doesn't seem to be a lot more room it can grow based on the size of the dam - I guess the critters are satisfied with their project.



Closer to the house, the water that rests on top of the pool cover was also frozen, and a little snow cover had fallen on it and around the pool. As I looked down there I noticed all sorts of tracks in the snow and ice, so I went down for a closer look. I can't decide if we'd had one visitor or many, but it looks like a little pool party took place from all these foot prints.




I was finally able to locate this isolated and fairly clear set of prints, and from this was able to decide we'd had some bunnies up there (and I confirmed this with a consultation with Howard at Evergreen Outfitters). They - or it - came in from under the fence near the gate, and hopped right over to the pool.
The days over the weekend warmed up quite a bit so the traces of winter melted off quickly - I wasn't able to get a bigger shot of the house to complete my "four seasons" collection of photos.

No comments: