Ramble On

Monday, October 3, 2011

Farmers Market Season Comes to an End

After heading out to Luray on Thursday, hoping for good weather so I could do some painting (I’m still waiting for three days of sunshine to do some touch-ups on the exterior), I ended up running errands on Friday. I happened to run into David from Public House Produce during that, and he invited me over to check out the pickings for the last Luray-Page Farmers Market, and the pigs.


The last Saturday of the Luray-Page market was this weekend, October 1.

Here are a couple of photos of the produce, taken at the farm. There is plenty of butternut squash here, and still some tomatoes. There were some green ones, which I understand the canning folk will use for chow chow and other winter comestibles.

Later during the weekend, after the market was closed, David sent a little wrap-up note about this year’s production. I’ve copied and reproduced the info below – I’m still impressed that all of this, except for the chickens, is coming off of 6 acres.

---

Since the season is officially over I have some harvest totals for the year, check'em out.

  • Tomaotes 9,960 lbs
  • Winter Squash 10,100 lbs
  • Sweet Corn 1,875 dozen ears
  • Cukes 9,000 lbs
  • Onions 900 lbs
  • Broc 600 lbs
  • Potatoes 500 lbs
  • Pasture Based Chicken - 6,500 lbs
  • Eggs - not enough!
I am already thinking about what to grow next season and what crops to increase. I am pretty sure that we are going to shoot for 15,000 lbs + of tomatoes next year and many more dozen eggs!

---

It’s a shame to see the season come to an end. We’ll have to look forward to next year, although we can have some fun with traditional fall and winter cooking in the meantime - I picked up a couple of those "festival" acorn squash with that in mind.

No comments: