Ramble On

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Meet the Yum Yums

Well, I stand corrected.  In a recent post, I referred to these guys as:

  • Ham,
  • Bacon,
  • Pork Chop, and
  • Chorizo
But I have been reminded that those aren't their real names.  They are the Yum Yums.

Last week I stopped by for a check-in at David's suggestion.  Our red oak acorn crop back in Alexandria has been so bodacious that I brought along a couple of pounds of them in a sack.

See, David told me about how the pigs behaved when they got the white oak acorns a few weeks ago - I had collected them from the yard in Stanley.

Pigs earn their reputation from how they are when it comes to eating.  They are aggressive.  They are sloppy.  They are loud.

But give them an acorn, and they recognize it as a delicacy to be savored.  They sniff around to find it on the ground, pick it up gently in the mouth, purse their lips and gently chew with the teeth in the front of their mouth.  The facial expression is almost a pucker. 

It was every bit as entertaining as he promised it would be.

So maybe the pigs are growing on me.  Okay, we can call them the Yum Yums.

But come February, they are Ham, Bacon, Pork Chop, and Chorizo, as far as I am concerned.

No comments: