Ramble On

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Try the Brisket

After assembling and curing my smokin' new grill on Saturday, on Sunday I finally set out to bbq a brisket.  I'd picked up a small one a few weeks back from my friends at Skyline Premium Meats ( http://www.skylinepremiummeats.com/ ) (hey gang!)...at 2.5 pounds it is much smaller than what you might typically find for this cut, and it had been trimmed down to square as opposed to the typical tongue shape.

To prepare it, I rubbed it with olive oil, seasoned with fresh ground sea salt and black pepper, and then slathered on fresh garlic.  Then I let it sit on the counter to come up to room temperature while I went out to fire up the grill.

I built my fire in the box you see here to the left side, using match-light fuel to start things up.  After these coals were ready, I started dropping in hickory coals (the source of the very fragrant - and flavorful - blue smoke you see in the photo), which I did for the remainder of my cooking time.  I kept the heat in the main chamber between 250 and 300 degrees for the duration of cooking.

I had trouble with two things on this first attempt, but despite the challenges we both liked the brisket.  Maintaining the temperature consistently was difficult, so I'll keep working on that. 

I also used a meat thermometer to monitor doneness of the brisket.  It never showed read "medium rare" even, so I ended up over cooking by a bit.  Most of this brisket was in the medium well category, although the center thick areas were medium.  It definitely didn't need the 3.5 hours I gave it, maybe I'll cut back to 2.5 with a cut this size in the future.

The hickory smoke is the thing though.  I made some NY Strips a few weeks ago with these coals and they came out really fine.  The brisket picked up that distinguishing red layer around the edges, which we've come to recognize as a sign of the smoking technique.

And since we have three large hickories on the property, I'm hoping that I can learn to distinguish fallen branches well enough to save them for future cooking, like my neighbor Dan does.  I'll need to get some pointers from him.

I've also saved three foot long cuttings from some fallen apple branches, and I'll probably do a pork loin in the near future with apple smoke.

I've also dedicated a section of the garage to storage of my grills.  I only use charcoal out in the country - propane in Alexandria - but in three years I've accumulated three grills.

When it's just Mary and me, the mini Weber suffices - although I usually don't do smoked meats on that one.  For larger meals with lots of sides (in the height of summer, we have a lot of vegetables on the table) or where we're having the neighbors over, I'll use the Kingsford kettle.  And now, joining them, is the mini-smoker.

You know, we have to have our toys.  And this is something I"m definitely enjoying learning - I'll work on perfecting the technique and expanding the repertoire, posting periodically.

No comments: