Ramble On

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Luray's June Triathlon Event


Posting a quick follow-up on the Triathlon event in Page County last weekend.  This is a new race, and over 300 participants were there - quite a few I recognized from last August's races.  There were participants in their teens to their 70's.

My volunteer assignments this time were handing out timing chips and then traffic/direction guidance out on the bike route.  I met Deputy Good from the Page Co. Sheriff's and we had a good chat about the area and event.  I think there may be one or two tasks that I haven't done by now in this Triathlon volunteering thing - I'll try and make sure I complete them in the next event.

The Luray races are organized by David Glover, who himself is an experienced triathlete.  He's won four at Iron Man distances and competed in many more.  I picked up a copy of David's bio - he's very accomplished and a role model and inspiration for everybody.  There's more at his blog site - http://davidglover.net/ .

I mention the Tri because I think the events are important to the economy in Page County - this kind of "active tourism" is a special kind of economic engine that I'd like to see get more attention.  I remember at the end of the August that the event contributed a generous donation to the United Way - so things add up, not just in terms of room nights, meals in town, and shopping...some of that money goes to people who need help.

The race was an inspiration as well.  I don't know that I could really put everything together to participate in a triathlon...it's an interesting thought though.  I'll track Mary's cousin's progress (look for the Shuster Team blog -in German - in the right hand column) and I'll check in at David's site from time to time.  Also, I think I heard Howard mention he and Gary at AOA may do the August Sprint (Gary's done the International too) - their blog is the Adventures in the Valley one over there to the right - incidentally, both of them were out volunteering, and AOA is a sponsor.

I didn't get to take as many photos this time.  At the chip booth, we had a number of last minute arrivals that had to rush to get into their first wave start on the swim.  We motored out onto the course as soon as the first wave of swimmers launched, so not a lot of time to do more than snap a quick shot of the transition area, above.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just found the race results on line, if anyone is interested:
http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1490#results-text

Howard in Luray said...

What you heard was that Gary & I will do the August Tri.........International distance. :)