Ramble On

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tech-watch geek: Looking for Timex Expedition Reviews


I have been looking for reviews of the Timex Expedition WS4 watch. I posted a reference to it in Tech-watch Geek last year: http://hawksbillcabin.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-offering-for-tech-watch-geek.html , and I have repeated the photo here with this post. Most of the references I found today were dated around the time of my post – meaning they were posted at about the time the watch was released last year, and draw from ad copy rather than actual user experience.

The watch is not on Amazon either, where my Casio Pathfinder came from, and where there are a number of reviews. The reviews are the main reason I chose it. If you come across any, or have one to share, please let me know with a comment.
Meanwhile, I am still on the learning curve with the Pathfinder. I toured a data center building a few days ago, and we took the stairs between the ground and third floors. The ceiling heights in these buildings should be 16 feet, my watch set the measure at 48 feet – we got that one right.
Also for fun, I took a manual measurement in the basement parking lot of the building I work in – “P3” – and again on the 9th floor after an elevator ride. I still have not set reference altitudes, but the watch read 0 on P3 and 45 on the 9th floor – 45 meters, or after adjusting by 3.2, 144 feet. Twelve feet per floor sounds about right to me.
I am still getting used to the size of the watch, and yesterday found that I had taken a compass reading while reaching for my keys. I’ve been pulling the bracelet too tight for one thing, and now am taking inadvertent readings much less since figuring that out.

No comments: