Ramble On

Monday, May 25, 2009

Diary of Gracie's Canine Renal Failure - 5

Continuing today with Mary’s journal about our dog Gracie’s canine renal failure.

March 17th
Another follow-up vet tech appointment with blood and urine tests. I’m at the vet’s office so much that I jokingly tell the patient coordinators that I should have a reserved parking space. I’m getting to know some of them by name, and all have been very caring toward Gracie and me during this ordeal.

I’ve shifted Gracie to homemade food based on the Hill’s diet: white rice, white bread, hard-boiled egg, calcium from ground egg shell, but have replaced the beef with boiled or baked chicken. She’s still not eating very much of it and it takes a while to get a full serving into her, using incentives and tears. I’ve switched the blood pressure medicine prescription to Costco from Target – I’m now paying around $6.00 for the same amount I paid $57 for at Target.

March 30th
More follow-up blood work. Gracie’s up to 43 pounds. In desperation regarding her food, I’ve consulted a holistic vet regarding Gracie’s diet. I’ve switched Gracie to brown rice and turkey, and replaced the white bread with French baguette (not through the holistic vet – I accidently dropped a piece of French bread on the floor one day and Gracie gobbled it up.) I don’t put the calcium in her food any more because she doesn’t seem to like it but otherwise I’m trying to keep the nutritional amounts from the substitute foods relatively the same as in Hill’s recipe.

No comments: