Ramble On

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day Hikes

During my vacation last week, I did three day hikes...all of these from the "Best Easy Day Hikes, Shenandoah National Park" book, written by Bert and Jane Gildhart. I picked up my current copy from Evergreen Outfitters, but we have an earlier addition that we bought at the Big Meadows visitor center in SNP.

This book has 26 hikes in it, spread between the North, Central, and Southern District of the Park. Almost all of them have trail heads on Skyline Drive. According to their rankings, from easiest to most difficult, they are:

  • Limberlost
  • Story of the Forest
  • Fox Hollow Trail
  • Snead Farm
  • Traces Trail
  • Loft Mountain Loop
  • Betty's/Crescent Rock
  • Blackrock Summit
  • Calvary/Chimney Rocks
  • Calf Mountain
  • Pocosin Trail
  • Miller's Head
  • Lands Run Falls
  • Stoney Man
  • Byrd's Nest 4 Loop
  • Corbin Cabin/Nicholson Hollow
  • Mary's Rock
  • Hawksbill Summit
  • Bearfence Mountian
  • Rapidan Camp
  • Lewis Spring Falls
  • South River Falls
  • Powell Gap
  • Dark Hollow Falls
  • Ivy Creek
  • Whiteoak Canyon
Scanning the list, I've done ten of these so far - and covered most of those in the blog. I'm making it a goal to do the rest by December 2009...I'll be sure to report on these as we check them off the list.

Tomorrow, I will begin the write-ups for Stoney Man, Ivy Creek, and Whiteoak, the three I did last week.

No comments: