Ramble On

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hike that started it all, part 1


Last May, as I approached my 18 month anniversary with my employer at the time, it was clear I needed a break. At each point where the going got tough, I'd put my head down to work through the situation, but things were just not improving. And this was despite the fact that I received two or three headhunter calls a week during my time there!

I negotiated a supervisory change, and agreed with my new boss on a turn around plan. Then Mary and I took a long weekend break to Shenandoah National Park, staying at the lodge in Skyland.


We left on Friday evening, making a stop to get a picnic dinner at http://www.italianstore.com/ and then drove the 1.5 hour route to the park and lodge. After checking in, we had our dinner on the porch of our room, watching the lights of the Page Valley come up.


There was a 1/2 mile walk to the taproom and restaurant in Skyland from our room. Here are some views of the part of the lodge we stayed in, the view from our porch, the restaurant, and the view from the restaurant.


On Saturday, we'd planned to hike, but it was raining on the mountain so we went down to Luray, where we enjoyed the Spring Festival. This past weekend was the year anniversary of that trip, and although we missed the festival this year, here is a link to the event: http://www.luraydowntown.com/festivals.html .


More to come, next post.

No comments: