Ramble On

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Frost on the Mountain

On Monday night, as I came home from running errands down in Harrisonburg, I kept noticing the frosty white peaks of Shenandoah National Park to the east.  My thoughts earlier in the day were about how the trees haven't quite leafed out all the way up, leaving a distinct green and brown boundary about two thirds of the way up - that was before the clouds and cold front came in.  After I saw the frost, I kept hoping the light would last until I got back into the neighborhood near Hawksbill Cabin, and was lucky to find that it did.

I snapped this photo (and later applied an Instagram filter) of Big Meadows from the intersection of our road - this frost was on the taller mountains from Mary's Rock, north of us, where the Thoroughfare Gap park entrance is, south beyond Elkton. I first noticed the weather on Hightop Mountain.

My friend David, over at Public House Produce, has been keeping me posted on what must be done on the farm when you've got your crops sown and late cold weather comes in like this.  The last frost date in the Luray area is mid-May, so this weather is not altogether unusual, even though it did make it uncomfortably chilly at night!  In any case, I hope to have a post up in the next few days showing some of David's preparation for the cold weather.

No comments: