Ramble On

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 2012 Update: 75 @ 75 Project

Looking through my notes, I see that I haven’t made a post about my “75 @ 75” project since last September!  Time has certainly flown by, and although I have done several hikes since my last one, none of them met the requirements for inclusion in the project. 

As a reminder, the 75 @ 75 project was designed to be a series of hikes I’ll take as a way to honor the 75th anniversary of the founding of Shenandoah National Park.  These hikes by design are moderately strenuous, since each hike on the list must be five miles or longer, with a net elevation change of at least 500 feet.

My status on the project is shown in the table to the left.  I have nearly reached 50 miles in the project, or two-thirds of the goal of 75 miles.  My only excuse for not getting all 75 miles in on the project is how busy I’ve been since starting my new job in December.  I’ve had to extend my deadline to May 2012, although at first I thought I could get it all done during last year’s hiking season.

Chris and I have agreed to get out to the Park for the first hike of the season this weekend.  We hope to tackle the Buck Hollow/Mary’s Rock Loop, which can be found on Hiking Upward at http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/BuckHollowMarysRock/

This trail is a 9-miler with 2,800 feet of elevation gain, so it easily qualifies.  See you on the flip!

No comments: