Ramble On

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Visible Construction Progress

If they have a recession going on, you wouldn't know it from the construction progress in the Clarendon neighborhood near my office. It's only been a few weeks since my last post on this topic, but with the speed of the changes, we're already due for an update.


First is the newer site, across the street from the office and behind the Hard Times. After saving the old storefronts - they'll be used as a facade on the new building, demo and site prep, foundation work began in earnest last month. Here we have photos of the tower crane getting installed, an older view of the "hole," and then one I took yesterday.

My guess is that since this is a center-block building it will ultimately top out at around four stories like most others in the neighborhood. Of particular interest to me is the shoring that had to be done on this site, which didn't appear large enough to host underground parking in the first place.

These braces seem to prevent the building of much of a basement at all. The other center block buildings tend to have parking on the second and third floors, hosting street front retail. That may be the plan here.

Even the Hard Times is expanding. It has been a fixture of this block for 20 years, and now has taken over the whole building. I've seen them moving pool tables in upstairs, and I hear that is going to be a sports bar. There have been big HVAC additions and the kitchen is upgrading. I think I'll stop by and have some Coney Dogs today if they are open...


Across the street, after seven or eight weeks of pouring a floor a week, the building is nearing top-out. Here's a photo of all three cranes - the two at that site and the one at the new mid-block site. Their near Ven-diagram overlaps mesmerize me.


On the lower floors, they are taking down the braces and forms and may already be doing infrastructure work in there. From time to time the workers are visible doing things near the floor edges. No work yet on the external walls and finishes...my next update on this site will be after that gets started.

No comments: