Ramble On

Monday, August 17, 2009

Luray Tri Weekend

Just back after a late start this Monday morning. Those early days working registration for the Luray Triathlon got the best of me, so I postponed my drive back until this morning (and a little further delay to avoid HOV restrictions on the roads).

I couldn't believe the enthusiasm and fun that everyone was having this weekend, all over town. But out at Lake Arrowhead, there were 600 participants in each of the two events - add 80+ volunteers and a couple hundred friends and family, and you've got yourself a crowd of 1,000 or more, easily.
As I mentioned, on both days I started early to help out with registration. That meant a 6:00 start for the international and a 7:00 start for the sprint. The pace was pretty hectic, but everybody was handled in quick fashion so nobody missed their starts. We even had late arrivals for both days - late wave starters, that we were able to get processed and in the water at their designated times. A success, in my book.



The photos accompanying this post are:
  • View of the line for registration - International
  • A glimpse of the water event start from registration
  • Before and after shots of the bike transition area
  • Some bikes at the "mount" line
  • An early runner coming out of the chute
  • The finish line area
  • Prepping the International awards
  • Our team on Sunday at Water Station #1 ("before")
  • Recognition ceremony for 30+ participants completing both events (this included several folks in the "over 60 class!"
By the looks of things around town on the weekend, the event was a success for many local businesses - very glad to see it. The Artisan's cafe was packed Friday and Saturday night, and the Mimslyn was sold out on Saturday night. You couldn't go anywhere downtown with seeing cars with bike racks.

In addition to registration, for the International, I did a job as "crossing guard" for pedestrians trying to get into the viewing areas near the transition area. This was very tough - bikers coming in from one direction and runners heading out in the other. We didn't want to keep anyone from being able to cheer for dad, mom, sister, brother or friend, so we just tried to help them cross without an accident.

On the Sprint day, I worked with a team to staff water station 1. This was a very rewarding assignment - everyone should try working one of these stations sometime. You'll be inspired!

Now for some takeaways. The event raised at least $10K for Page County United Way, which is pretty awesome, because all of those donations will stay in the County - which can definitely use it. There was a total of more than 150 volunteers - many of whom have done this more than two years in a row! This was the total at the two days of racing. I understand there were several days of prepartion ahead of time - Howard and many others worked late hours on Thursday preparing the giveaways for 1,200 participants. Several of the volunteers I met had worked on the bike race on the previous weekend.

On another note, seeing all these folks getting out for the activities reminded me of the Berlin Marathon, a very, very long time ago - September 1983, in fact. I've thought about whether or not I might set a goal of doing that race again someday. I haven't quite made up my mind on it; but one sight certainly has pushed the thoughts a little bit further. During registration for the international, I saw a middle-aged guy changing into his swim trunks in one of the support areas (most folks, as he did, had them on underneath other clothes).

When he took his shirt off, there was a tell-tale scar over his heart - major surgery. Here he was, setting up for something as challenging as a one mile swim, 25-mile bike ride, and six-mile run...that is something we can all take a little inspiration from!
PS - Happy Birthday to Andy, who celebrated her day on Saturday night!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since its inception, this has always been a great event. Didn't know it at the time, but you were on one end of the shelter registering participants and I was on the other end making sure they got fed!!

posumcop

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

I suggest you stop staring at half-naked middle-aged men... that should NOT be the way to get inspired.

Does Mary know about any of these proclivities?

Unknown said...

posumcop - you guys looked like you were having a lot of fun on that side of the shelter. Pretty hectic environment - but very cool to be part of it. JT

Unknown said...

Brian, I'll check with here and get back to you! JT

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being part of the support crew! I was one of the athletes in the sprint event, and I can say that with the heat that morning, you all were a welcome sight on the run course!

Unknown said...

I hope it comes through in the blog post, but it was pretty inspirational to me to see all the competitors out for this event. I was glad to have a chance to participate this way, and most of the voluteers I talked to felt the same way!

More than once it made me think back to that one marathon I ran in the dark ages, in Berlin...

It was a hot day Sunday, and we tried to push our water at station 1. It worried me to see people run past turning it down...