Ramble On

Monday, August 31, 2009

Demo Derby


Since we first started coming to the County Fair, I have been trying to get to the Demolition Derby. The first time we went, in 2007, it was the last night of the fair, and the Derby had already been held. Last year, a proposal at work kept me away on Derby weekend...so this year, Mary agreed that we'd make every effort, including leaving early on Friday, to make sure that we could be there for the big event.






It did not dissappoint. The event was sold out, you'll see that in the photos, which include:
  • The empty "field of champions" before the Derby
  • Cars lining up for the first heat - outside and inside the track
  • Demo action
  • Clean-up


We watched the first three heats, which qualified 10 drivers for the final and the championship. We wanted to get back to the fair to see some of the displays and eat some fair food (sorry, Perry - no deep fired twinkies, although we did have a funnel cake!), so we didn't stick around for the finale.

Mary was the smart one and wore earplugs - they only served to make her talk louder...I was very worried when at one point she interrupted some cheering with a, "this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen."
For a moment, I pretended I didn't know her, but if I was pressed on this point, I was ready to say, "Well, she's from New Jersey. I am sure she has seen plenty of stupider things."

I think I'm in for the tractor pull next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are really going to nned earplugs for the Tractor Pull !!!

posumcop

Unknown said...

Good tip, I'll have to make sure I get a pair of earplugs for myself.

Howard said...

AWESOME!