Ramble On

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Noisy Birds! Pileateds and Hawks


On Sunday, another noise I heard frequently was the nearby pounding of pileated woodpeckers. I kept an eye out for them as I have seen them before in flight - we have at least a pair of them in the hollow, and as proof, I offer this photo of a tree on our downhill lot.

I'm sure I will catch sight of them this spring, but it is less likely that I will be able to take a photo of them, even though I am ever vigilant with the Moto Cam!

As I was keeping tabs Sunday on all the wildlife activity, I heard a familiar kik-kik-kik-kik-kik call from back in the woods. I've seen hawk activity in the neighborhood since mid-March, and wondered if our nesting pair might return (see posts under the label "Hawks" for posts from last years, when the pair had a successful nest of four fledglings).

Sure enough I looked up at the nest and the female was there. The call was the male letting her know he was nearby - with food. Here are photos of the tree where the nest is, to give an idea of the size and density. Even though I am usually planted on the brick terrace in the morning, near the windows and front door shown here, I've never been able to get a good photo of the nest. Even so, I have been able to watch them carefully - my morning time there is also when the male brings her his kills.





No comments: