Ramble On

Monday, April 13, 2009

Beaver Pond goin's on

On Sunday I spent a good amount of time on the brick terrace enjoying a sunny spring day. Besides catching up on my reading (reading list: back issues of Fortune Small Business, Wired, Harvard Business Review, Progressive Farmer and the Page News and Courier) I wanted to check out what was happening in the Beaver Pond across the road. I was too far away from the pond to capture images of all the action.

Since February, at night there is the constant song of tree frogs. Tons of them. Mostly the high pitched song, although there are some larger frogs around (likely ground-bound) with deep throated songs.

During the afternoon, I was able to see the beaver at work, making his/her rounds to ensure the dam was holding - it is. Also, there's a small flock of mallards that have taken up residence in the pond - only males so far, I haven't seen any females, but they may be nesting elsewhere.

There is a pair of geese in the neighborhood that fly by in the morning from upstream. I think they spend their days at the old pond downstream on the Jordan Hollow property, or over in the big pasture nearby, where there is a very large pond.

Finally, at times, I could see little wakes from fish swimming. I'm not sure what's in there - I heard that Hawksbill Creek was stocked in Luray last week, but I don't know if we've got "gone native" trout this far upstream. I'm sure that what we have here is not from the weekend's stocking...and I am thinking it's something less glamorous than the trout - probably a minnow of some kind, just getting close to the surface and showing a wake on smooth water.

No comments: