Ramble On

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Page County Fair 2008 - Part 1



While I stayed in Alexandria last weekend, Mary was out at the cabin to do some errands and relax. She got by the Page County Fair for some fun, and brought back photos of a couple of the things she did and saw. I’ll post them on these next two entries.


She took this one of a brightly-colored carnival ride while she was on the midway. Even though we don’t take in any of these amusements at the fair I always like to walk through the midway…brings back some pretty good memories. The ones that come to mind first today are of Oktoberfest in Munich – I went down there twice from Berlin on two separate 3-day trips in 1985. One word: Lowenbrau! Four words: Triple-loop roller coaster! Alas, that was a long time ago.



The big deal at the Page County Fair for me is to see the FFA and 4-H projects, where the kids have taken on raising livestock. Here are photos of some sheep and pigs (pigs are good luck, hopefully these will bring some for the readers).




Last photo, in the plants projects hall, here are some photos of hay bales – this is a pretty interesting exhibition because it includes other types of produce contests, such as beans, cucumbers, and the like.









On a cross-country trip in 2006 I stopped in at the County Fair at Goodland, Kansas. I spent most of that visit in the vegetable hall (when I wasn't marvelling at the Kansas landscape! I swear I could see Ft. Worth from there!)

Another feature of the Page County Fair is all of the sponsored booths. Last year we met up with the Page County Democratic Party out there, and met a fellow with the same name as me who was running for the county commission. I sure wish I could have made it out.

No comments: