Ramble On

Friday, August 8, 2008

Limberlost, continued


If you check Wikipedia, the entry that comes up on Limberlost reveals information about a swamp in the Midwest. The story goes, that this area was named after a book about a forest by the wife of the developer responsible for the Skyland resort area in the Park. She purchased the evergreens that grew here in North Carolina and had them transplanted to this spot, finding inspiration in a book named Limberlost from the mid-1800’s.




The evergreens she planted are all dead now and many are down, but some are still standing, as shown in these pictures. Whenever I come here it reminds me of how the forest recovers – something will grow in to fill the vacant place. We see that in the yard at the cabin – it was a corn field, then a pine forest, and slowly, oaks are growing in after.








We also found this interesting rock formation on the trail, at the crossroads of Limberlost and White Oak Canyon trail. It reminds me of some of the formations in Joshua Tree, although the stone is different...the erosion is the same.

Mary and I finished the Limberlost trail and headed south on Skyline Drive to the Crescent Rock pull-off. We walked out to the namesake rock and took a look down into the Valley. Just to the left there you can see Nakedtop and Hawksbill Mountain, and to the right, the little hamlet of Ida, and Luray beyond. The mountains block Stanley from view, and our cabin is also hidden from this vantage point.

To complete our plan, we walked back to the parking lot and then to the Betty’s Rock trailhead. Although the trail follows Skyline Drive too closely for my taste, the forest it goes through is very scenic.

As we turned a bend in the trail…

Remember in yesterday’s post, I mentioned the kids we ran into on the Limberlost Trail? The kids asking about the bear?

Up ahead, about 15 yards from us, a momma bear turned to look back at us while her two cubs scampered away. It took an astonished second or two to be sure of what we were looking at – three bears, just about face to face. I said to Mary, “Let’s just turn around and go back, we can come back another day for the view.”

About 10 feet into the walk back, I thought about going back for a photo. That would have tested an old saying I’ve become fond of, from The Big Lebowski: “Sometimes you eat the b’ar, and sometimes he eats you.” But then I thought better of it. I just didn't know what day it was.

Lots of bear sightings this year, so I am sure I will have a safer look somewhere down the line. And when I do get a phone cam shot, I’ll be sure to post it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Big Lebowski: “Sometimes you eat the b’ar, and sometimes he eats you.”

Jim:

I always like to paraphrase it as:
"Sometimes you eat bare, and sometimes you dine formaly..."

I'm still following along and enjoying this blog, by the way.

~Brian McGowan

Anonymous said...

JT:

Oops, I mispeld "formally"...

~Brain McGown