Ramble On

Monday, June 2, 2008

Catching up on a few Small Projects

Today a quick entry to catch up on some small projects – they all involve painting. While there is nothing wrong with the colors on a couple of these, the fact that we had to change them radically just speaks to how true the old saying is, “different strokes.”


First, this little project from last September. We found a couple of items in the house that had been painted this bright blue color – at least, in the direct sunlight, the color is bright blue. This actually showed as a navy inside the house. There were two little chests of drawers and a folding closet door that needed to be primed (two coats to cover this!) and then painted with Swiss Coffee semi-gloss from Home Depot.










Next, a project from a couple of weeks ago. I am starting to think about options on this garage building, it has been poorly maintained and shows a lot of wear and tear. There are a lot of insects inside that we are keeping down with pesticides and the like; some rotting non-structural wood; there’s no power to it; and it could stand to be insulated. Home Depot and Lowes – not to mention some locals in Luray – sell these little portable buildings so the thought of replacing out right has come to mind.
I should note for the record two items about this project. First, because of the wood pile under the garage, the bamboo that grows off to the side, and the openings in the foundation, I kept the hoe visible here leaning against the side wall handy in case of snakes. I am not so worrried about rat snakes these days - they already know who's boss on this property. I was worried about timber rattlers (for Greg: haven't seen a snake in months around here!)
Also, I recently found a bat hanging under the overhang that casts a long shadow on this photo. It was a pleasant surprise - when I pulled the door open he fell to the ground. I didn't see what it was and thought I had chipped off the siding; finished my business and closed the door. When I went back a half hour later to get the grill, the bat flew out of the garage. I was glad he was free, and now I am thinking about putting up a little bat house on the side of the garage.
In any case, the paint job on the door was meant to brighten it up…two notes, this red is more terra cotta than the merlot color on the main house – so it’s the wrong color; and two, it comes off as orange and black, but I am not a Harley rider (the previous owner was).
Finally, we are ready to paint the interior. Thanks to Nancy for the old paint samples, which we put around the place to choose colors. We have made our decision and will begin this project soon – we went to Lowes in H-burg over the weekend to buy paint. (Surprisingly, the service at Lowes in H-burg is not as good as at Home Depot…that is different from my experience in Alexandria and Raleigh).

No comments: