Ramble On

Monday, June 2, 2008

There's a reason I still like baseball

While I haven't been able to watch any of the games, while we were on our way back to Alexandria yesterday I noticed that the police league game was going on at the high school athletic field. Apparently this is a semi-pro, below Class A, league out in the Shenandoah Valley more or less along the I-81 corridor into North Carolina.

From what I have seen so far and read in the local paper, many past high school stars, and good athletes from the town police and fire departments, get in the game. In short, these are probably some of the games my great uncle V.T. (Versa T. - I never learned what the "T." stood for) used to scout for the Reds.

And the games look like just the kind of minor league experience that could make for an entertaining summer weekend evening, swatting mosquitoes and waiting for the fireworks (beer - probably not served at these games on these facilities).

Earlier yesterday, Mary and I had lunch at a little Italian joint in Shendandoah - "Mamma Mia."

As we enterred, they sat us near two guys in "Shenandoah Fire Department" t-shirts. While we were waiting to order, one of them received a phone call. The conversation I overheard: "Hi hon. We are having lunch at Mamma Mia's. ... Well, you remember yesterday I came here for lunch before the game and I went 2-for-4. ... So I figured, I'd have lunch here again today before the game and see if I go 2-for-4 again. It might work."

One additional note of interest, I learned that my grandfather (Russ) attended college in Shenandoah on a baseball scholarship in the early 30's. We don't know how far along his baseball or academic career went...but I do know his brother (V.T.) achieved at least a two-year degree and played ball enough to get to the minors, and to scout well into his 80's...very possibly here at that same school and in this league.

Added after receiving comment: Apparently my grandfather played in the leagues around Leaksville, NC after college. And we don't have info that V.T. - T stands for Tankersly, so that is Versa Tankersly...needs to be a topic of research - actually played ball. His two year degree, however, was from Wake Forest, we learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The T in V.T stands for Tankersly and don't ask where it came from.

Your grampa did play baseball for Shenadoah, and then for the leagues back in Leaksville when he left college.

Uncle VT did love baseball, as did your grampa. I didn't know that VT played baseball like Russ did. Surprised to hear he played in the minors. I may have some pics of your grampa playing, or maybe Rusti has some. VT went to Wake Forest for his 2 year degree.
Keep up the blog. Mom