Ramble On

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Agribusiness Intern - Revisited

I was doing some fall tidying up at Hawksbill Cabin last weekend.  Between the wistful glances at the picture window, where the October Nor'easter was blanketing us with about four inches of snow back in the hollow, I kept thinking about the little internship I did at Public House Produce in August.  There was the weather, there was being outside, there was getting the chance to be "hands on" in the local food movement...all great experiences.

Then, yesterday, there were also all the observations about the fact that the world's population is estimated to have passed 7 billion yesterday - this is a topic David and I revisited a couple of times while I was there on the farm, especially in light of the forecast that the population will surpass 9 billion by 2045, which might just be in my lifetime, albeit the tail end of it.

David made a note on Facebook about the news of the day:  "Food for thought. 7 billion pepole in the world today and an estimated 9 billion by 2045, just a small reminder that you should know your farmer!"  That's really what it is all about, I guess.

What I found as I was tidying up was a small collection of notes I had made about the internship, materials about the Shenandoah Valley Produce Auction in Dayton, and of course, materials about the Page County Grown farmers who participated in that excellent first farm tour. 

Over the course of November, I'll put these resources together in a couple of posts that summarize what I learned working as the agribusiness intern at Public House Produce.  My previous posts on this topic can be found by clicking on the "Agribusiness" label at the end of this one.

No comments: