Ramble On

Monday, January 10, 2011

Konichiwa and all that

This week I am traveling on business to Japan.  Typical of my road trips in the past, I'll post updates as I am able.  I'm looking forward to a successful trip, but hope to have a bit of fun while I am here.

Today after taking a short walk around the area I'll be working in, I went off on an adventure to find the local train station.  It's about 15 minutes to get there, and it is called Soubudai-Mae.  My target was a little conveyer-sushi place they'd told me about in the hotel - my fallback, in case I didn't find it, was to be a Yoshinoya, a Japanese fast food chain that they also have in Los Angeles.  There was one near the USC campus...they had good soba as I recall.

On the way to the station I passed two items of interest.  First, there was this little bonsai garden in someone's front yard.  I only have 1/3 of the trees in this shot.  Notice that the plums are blooming...

Second one was this Domino's pizza joint.  Fitting I guess, there is an Army base nearby.  I don't think a week is long enough that I will build a craving for pizza, but now I know I can get one if I want it.  You can run but you cannot hide from American culture.




At last, I got to the main street, passing a grocery store and what seemed like a hundred barber shops.  There were quite a few other choices, including another sushi place right next door.  And then the very tempting Jakarta Midnight Noodles, but they weren't open - I mean, I was walking around mid-day in broad daylight, after all. 

No comments: